COLD WEATHER SHELTER SHELTER
The Salvation Army provides shelter to anyone in need when it is 40 degrees if precipitation is present, or 35 degrees and below without precipitation. We take the low wind chill factor into consideration.
We use the Weather Channel 24 hours in advance to decide if the shelter will be open according to these weather reports so we can coordinate supplies and volunteers.
Local news stations will be alerted as soon as possible so they can advertise the shelter being open.
Prepackaged meals will be served for dinner and breakfast. Food will be served bedside to discourage group gatherings. All of CDC guidelines must be followed including wearing masks and social distancing. Beds will be positioned 6 ft apart from each other to follow these guidelines. Guests will need to fill out a survey about their health and provide a photo ID before entering. Space is limited and is provided on a first come first served basis.
Hours: Open from 6:00 pm – 7:00 am
The Salvation Army Area Command Headquarters at 2019 22nd Street.
Doors open at 4:00 p.m. for Cold Weather Shelter clients and close at 10:00 p.m. for lights out. Dinner is at 6:30 p.m. and breakfast will be provided at the shelter.
The Salvation Army of Jackson County is located at 3217 Nathan Hale Ave.
Doors open at 6:00 p.m. for Cold Weather clients. Dinner and breakfast are served.
The Pascagoula shelter will close if no one has arrived by 7:00 pm.
Cold Weather Shelter Rules
The Salvation Army MS Gulf Coast is happy to assist you on cold and extreme weather nights. However, for your safety, the safety of your neighbor and the comfort of everyone staying we ask that you govern yourself by these guidelines. Violation of these guidelines can result in denial of services.
- No Weapons
- No Alcohol
- No Drugs
- No Profanity or Slurs
- No Bullying
- No Food or Drink Allowed in the sleeping area
- No Sexual Acting out
- Be respectful of yourself and others
- Leave bad or quarrelsome attitudes off TSA property
- Everyone entering consents to a Breathalyzer test and search of their bags and person
- Smoking is ONLY allowed Outside – Use Ash Cans
- During these times: 6 to 10 PM and 6 to 7 AM
- Smoking is NOT allowed during lights out.
- Stay outside the door – Loitering around the building is NOT acceptable
- Do not loiter in the front lobby. This area is closed during Cold Weather Shelter hours
- Pets – we all love our pets, but we cannot bring them to the shelter
- Enter or Exit ONLY through the entrance
- During these times: 4 to 10 PM and 6 to 7 AM
- Stay out of areas marked “Employee Only”
- TV will be at the discretion of the Volunteer in Charge and ONLY family appropriate entertainment allowed
- Dinner is at 6:30 PM – Eat what you want while it is being served.
- When everyone is served, the food will be put away and the kitchen cleaned. Food will NOT be available after that
- Water is the only beverage served after 8:30 PM
- No Coffee will be brewed after 8:15 PM
- Lights out from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM. This means you are to be lying down on your cot, cell phones on silent and everyone is quiet.
Our Volunteers are the backbone of the work we do here at the Salvation Army.
We thank the Lord for you giving your time to help others.
Sign up to volunteer at our cold weather shelter here.