The first recorded instance in which The Mobile Salvation Army provided shelter for homeless families and children was in October of 1953, with the opening of a new Citadel Corps building at 57 N. Conception Street.  That location would have been catty-cornered from Bienville Square.  That lodge could house five families, with up to five children per family, separately from the men who were also being served at the facility.

The first Salvation Army facility to provide lodging exclusively for women and children was opened in September 1984 at 959 Easton Street, near Pillans Park.  One of the fundraising goals of The Salvation Army’s 1987 Centennial Capital Campaign was to build a new building for the emergency sheltering of women, children, and families.

By 1996, the Women and Children’s Shelter had been moved from Easton Street to this location, 2325 Boykin Boulevard, the former site of the Mulherrin Home.  An active Advisory Council worked diligently to accomplish that move, secure funding for the Shelter, and provide for its clients’ needs.

In August 2005, the Shelter was fairly-well destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.  Though it was disastrous and limited the shelter’s use, the hurricane provided the Salvation Army with the opportunity to raise the old facility and build a new one, with over half of the cost being provided by the government through Katrina recovery funding.

During that time of renewal, the name was changed, for a brief period, to The Haven.  The name was changed again, however, and, on July 22, 2010, this shelter was dedicated and re-opened as the Center for Women and Children.

In June of 2015, The Center for Women and Children was re-purposed to become the Family Haven, so that it may provide refuge for women and children, men and children, and families with children.