The Birmingham Salvation Army provides several services that address food and economic challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Food Pantry

Food assistance is available for any Jefferson County resident, and takes place every Wednesday at The Center of Hope, located at 2015 26th Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35234.  The distribution takes place from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM, and you may receive food assistance once every 30 days.  Western Jefferson County residents may receive food assistance at The Bessemer Service Center, every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month.  The address is 525 13th Street North, Bessemer, AL 35020.  For more information regarding the Food Pantry, please call 205.328.4536 (Birmingham) and 205.425.4303 (Bessemer).

Guidelines and Documentation:

  1. Picture I.D. for everyone 21 and older in the household
  2. Social Security cards for everyone in the household
  3. Proof of address (copy of lease/mortgage, OR one current utility bill
  4. Proof of income and food stamps, if applicable

Financial Assistance

Help is available to individuals or families living in Jefferson County who suffered a loss of income due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  Financial assistance is  available to residents to cover rent, mortgage and past due utility bills, including water, sewer, electric and gas.  Please contact The Salvation Army of Greater Birmingham at 205.328.4536 for more information.  You must have documented proof of income loss due to Covid-19 and you must be a resident of Jefferson County.

Guidelines and Documentation:

  1. Covid-19 letter from employer (letter must include company’s name, address, phone number and contact person.  The letter must state that you lost income due to Covid-19, the date your income stopped and the letter must be signed)
  2. Social Security cards of all household members
  3. Check stubs for the job that was affected by Covid-19 (at least two)
  4. Current proof of income or no income
  5. Picture I.D. for all household members 21 or older
  6. Utility bill(s), if applicable
  7. Past due or late notice from landlord or mortgage company (must include past due amounts, the month(s) that are past due, individual’s name and property address.  If more than one month is due, charges must be itemized.
  8. Lease or mortgage documents

* Additional documentation may be required.