The Salvation Army Greater Birmingham Area Command has financial assistance available to individuals and households impacted by the January 2021 tornado. For more information, please call 205-328-4536.
- The individual or head-of-household must demonstrate:
- Reside in the impacted areas of Fultondale and Center Point
- Has needs directly related to the effects of the event
2. Clients must provide proof of damage, which consists of one of the following:
- Insurance damage report showing damage was a result of the tornado, and how much insurance will cover.
- A Red Cross referral, listing the property address and stating damage was a result of the tornado.
- A letter from the local municipality (Fire or Police Department) or apartment leasing agent that states the household was in the tornado-damaged area and sustained significant damage to the residence.
- Deductible assistance for home sustaining significant damage
- Construction costs
- Basic furnishings and appliances
Greater Birmingham Area
Food assistance is available to any Jefferson County resident, and takes place every Wednesday at The Center of Hope, located at 2015 26th Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35234. Distribution times are from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM, and you may receive food assistance once every 30 days.
Western Jefferson County
Western Jefferson County residents may receive food assistance at The Bessemer Service Center, by calling 205-425-4303, and scheduling an appointment. The address is 525 13th Street North, Bessemer, AL 35020.
Shelby and Chilton Counties
Residents of Shelby and Chilton Counties may contact The Alabaster Community Corps for food assistance services. The number is 205-663-7105. The address is 108 Plaza Circle Alabaster, AL 35007.
Guidelines and Documentation:
- Picture I.D. for everyone 21 and older in the household
- Social Security cards for everyone in the household
- Proof of address (copy of lease/mortgage, OR one current utility bill
- Proof of income and food stamps, if applicable
COVID-19 FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Help is available to individuals or families who suffered a loss of income due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Financial assistance is available to cover rent, mortgage, and past due utility bills, including water, sewer, electric and gas. Please contact The Salvation Army Greater Birmingham Area Command at 205-328-4536 for more information. You must have documented proof of income loss due to COVID-19.
Guidelines and Documentation:
- Covid-19 letter from employer (letter must include company’s name, address, phone number and contact person. The letter must state that you lost income due to Covid-19, the date your income stopped and the letter must be signed)
- Social Security cards of all household members
- Check stubs for the job that was affected by Covid-19 (at least two)
- Current proof of income or no income
- Picture I.D. for all household members 21 or older
- Utility bill(s), if applicable
- Past due or late notice from landlord or mortgage company (must include past due amounts, the month(s) that are past due, individual’s name and property address. If more than one month is due, charges must be itemized.
- Lease or mortgage documents
* Additional documentation may be required.