The Alabama Power-affiliated Alabama Business Charitable (ABC) Trust Fund is donating $100,000 to Project SHARE (Service to Help Alabamians with Relief on Energy) and The Salvation Army. The Alabama Business Charitable Trust Fund was created by Alabama Power stockholders in 1882 to supplement energy assistance efforts.
Project SHARE will receive $50,000 to help low-income customers who are age 60 years and older and/or disabled and The Salvation Army of Greater Birmingham will receive $50,000 to help customers who do not qualify for Project SHARE. Project SHARE is an energy assistance program administered by The Salvation Army in partnership with Alabama Power and rural electric cooperatives.
“Through Project SHARE, The Salvation Army and local community action agencies across the state reach thousands of Alabamians that need energy assistance each year,” said Major Roger Glick, Area Commander of The Salvation Army of Greater Birmingham. “This winter has been one of the coldest in Alabama’s history and many customers across the state are facing higher energy bills due to the use of more energy needed to warm their homes. This generous $100,000 gift to provide additional assistance to Alabamians facing higher energy bills is tremendous and will go a long way to help people facing financial hardship due to unexpected high energy bills.”
The $50,000 state-wide grant will provide additional funding to 10 counties across the state. The counties receiving additional funding are listed below and residents seeking assistance can reach out to the local Salvation Army in each county.
- Baldwin – The Salvation Army of Coastal Alabama, (251) 438-1625
- Calhoun – The Salvation Army of Anniston, (256) 236-5643
- Etowah – The Salvation Army of Gadsden, (256) 546-4673
- Houston – The Salvation Army Service Center in Dale County, (334) 445-3070
- Jefferson – The Salvation Army of Greater Birmingham, (205) 328-2420
- Lee – The Salvation Army Service Center, (334) 826-0073
- Mobile – The Salvation Army of Coastal Alabama, (251) 438-1625
- Montgomery – The Salvation Army of Montgomery, (334) 265-0281
- Shelby – The Salvation Army Alabaster Corps, (205) 663-7105
- Tuscaloosa – The Salvation Army of Tuscaloosa, (205) 632-3691
Customers wanting to apply for energy bill assistance across the state of Alabama can contact their local Salvation Army or The Salvation Army of Greater Birmingham at (205) 328-2420 for additional information.